Useful Equipment: Termite Detection Tools
One of the most dangerous pests which may destroy any kind of cellulose material is termite.
They can eat not only trees but also paper, wood and houses; and it will not take much time.
That’s why it is important to know how you can identify whether you already have termites in your house or not.
- How to identify termite presence?
- Termite detection tools
- Thermal Imaging Camera
- Optical Borescopes
- Acoustic Emission Devices
- Radar Technology
- 3-in-1 detector
- Spectracide Terminate Termite Detection & Killing Stakes
- Termite detection dogs
- Useful articles
- Helpful video
How to identify termite presence?Remember, that termites eat any kind of timber and everything which is made of it: books, wooden tools, beams, ceilings, window sills, railings etc.
So, here are several easy first-step ways for infestation identification.
- Having swarmers’ wings on the window sills or floors can signalize termite attack (most probably at an early stage).
- You have to check wooden objects; you may see small round holes.
- There are some places where processed droppings can be seen (termites push the droppings out of holes and tunnels).
- Check if a tiny brown, red, black or white frass is seen.
- Knock the wooden object. If you hear the noise like it is empty inside that means that most probably you have termites.
- Explore the inside and outside parts of foundation walls. There might be small tunnels to moisture sources.
- Timber framing and places under doors and windows can be the first infestation points. Remember, that usually destructions are not seen from the outside.
- You can use special devices for termite detection.
- Call a professional pest company.
All about checking the house for termites.Advice! Termites do not like light, that’s why you should pay more attention to dark areas.
Termite detection tools
Actually there isn’t any kind of special termite identification tools under standards.
Anyway, some devices exist and can be used to find termites.
Usually advanced tools reduce damage as they do not leave any evidence of their usage.
Here are some termite detection devices:
- Thermal Imaging Camera (infrared termite detection and microwave termite detection);
- Optical Borescopes;
- Electronic Odour Detectors (it detects methane gas which is produced by termites);
- Acoustic Emission Devices;
- Spectracide terminate termite detection stakes kit;
- Termite detection dogs.
Learn more about drywood termites: signs of their activity; best methods of treatment: spot treatment and DIY methods; how to get rid of them in furniture?
Thermal Imaging Camera
Thermal energy is invisible to human eye but there are some cameras and other devices which can be used to see it. All living objects have this energy and at the beginning this feature was used only by military forces.
Today there is a wide range of different thermal imaging devices which are used for various purposes. So, thermal imaging cameras can be used for termite detection.
Camera identifies heat in the infested area what makes it clear whether you have termites or not. But here another problem appears. This kind of camera is hard to be used; it takes several days to learn how to do that.Furthermore, camera can “read” only small areas. In this case you will have to use extra termite detection equipment. Thermal imaging camera for termite detection is very expensive as well.
This one is very effective termite detection system. Usually borescopes use light which travels through small tunnels to see if you have termites or not. Borescopes are perfect if you want to reach inaccessible areas.
If you can’t find a hole or tunnel in order to place borescope, you can always drill it.
Acoustic Emission Devices
Termites can make special sounds ad vibrations while moving and feeding. Sometimes vibrations in the wood can be heard by householders. In order to check termite activity acoustic emission devices can be used.These devices can “hear” the noise 80 centimeters along the length and 8 centimeters to the deep and record it. The only problem is that acoustic emission device is huge and is difficult to hold.
Termite detection radar technology appeared approximately 27 years ago. Today it is believed to be the most effective way for termite infestation identification.
Radar can find termites, confirm their presence and even find their nest location. Furthermore, radar technology doesn’t need any surface destruction (wooden object stays untouched) and saves a lot of time and money.
Termite detection radar works as any other kind of radars: it sends a special thermal signal to the object (or to the ground) and it reflects from these objects.
Termite detection radar identifies movement according to the same principle. This special signal easily goes through the walls, floors, ceilings and different materials.
If the signal meets termite, the information appears on the display. This technology makes radar simple to use.
Learn more about subterranean termites: signs of their activity; best methods of treatment and DIY methods. Eastern subterranean termites and their tunnels and tubes with photo.
Today 3-in-1 detectors are becoming more and more popular. The reason is that this kind of detector combines 3 important termite detection tools:
- Termite detection radar.
- Thermal sensor.
- Moisture sensor.Making the combination of three critical devices, makes it possible to find, detect and confirm termite presence in a more effective way. 3-in-1 detector can work as radar, thermal and moisture sensor.
Moisture sensor helps to identify potential termite presence as it is known that high moisture attracts termites. 3-in-1 detector usually has display where all the information about signals can be seen.
Spectracide Terminate Termite Detection & Killing Stakes
This device has double-benefit action. Firstly, it is used for termite detection. You can easily install it into the ground: dig a hole in the ground and place the device in it.
As soon as the device identifies that you have termites, red indicator will pop-up. Secondly, Spectracide Terminate Termite Detection Stakes Kit contains a trap which attracts and kills termites.
Here you can learn more information about effective treatment method called tenting (fumigation): dangers for termites, preparing for fumigation and cleaning after, how long does this procedure last?
Termite detection dogs
Can dogs detect termites? Yes, but not all types of dogs can be trained for this job but there are some.The dog which has been trained in a right way can identify termite presence with 95 to 97% accuracy.
The point is that dogs can feel the smell of termites. That’s why dogs are more effective in comparison with human detection. If pest professional doesn’t use any devices, it may be very difficult for him to say for sure whether you have termites or not.
This is all because pest control service might use only visual ways of detection. Of course, this method doesn’t give 100% guarantee. Furthermore, this way of detection can be used if only the colony has been living for a long time, and there are wood damages.
Termite detection dogs do not need to wait for a huge number of termites and their destructive consequences. These dogs can smell termites through the walls even when they’ve just started their infestation.
If you interested in more information of termites we recommend you to read the following articles:
- All types of termites. Are they harmful to humans? Can they bite you? And what is the difference between drywood and subterranean ones?
- What does swarmers of different species look like: drywood, subterranean, formosan?
- Signs of infestation outside and in the house: in walls or furniture.
- What does termite holes look like? What is droppings and is it toxic to humans? Do termites make noises?
- Posible termite damage, how does it look like? Examples of damage in walls and wood floors.
- All about flying termites: how do they look like, swarming season and what to do if there are swarmers in your house?
- How do they do nests and mounds? How to find it in your garden or inside the house?
- Termite life cycle – from egg to larvae. And social hierarchy: workers, soldiers, queen.
Gain insight in how a truly professional pest inspection is conducted:
Benefits of advanced termite detection tools usage:
- If you use devises, you can make sure whether you have termites or not.
- Tools have the ability to find termites presence even if there are no obvious signs of it.
- Advanced devices reduce damage, associated destructions and money spending which may be caused by tools installation.
- All devices are designed according to governmental regulations.
- All tools are safe and have less microwave emissions than mobile phones.
- By identifying termite nest location, chemical treatment becomes more effective.
- Advanced devices do not disturb termites and they stay active. This becomes important when you are going to destroy their nest (termite nest stays unprotected).