Step-by-step Sequence of Actions: How to Spray for Termites Yourself
Among all the countless insects, rodents and other parasites that bother and inconvenience to homeowners around the world, the most dangerous are the termites.
Only termites can unaided to spoil or destroy the wooden bearing designs of the house in just a few years. In the first five years after the invasion of termites, the destructive consequences of their “works” may even be invisible.
But then may be simply too late. Most likely, your most important and large investment of money. Therefore, it is necessary to take all possible steps to protect the house from termites or get rid of them as soon as possible if they have already bred.
- Is it possible to use the room spray for termites yourself?
- How to spray for termites yourself?
- How to handle a spray for termites in the house?
- Spraying termites outside
- What time is best for treating the termites with spray?
- How to do it?
- How often to spray for termites?
- Safety measures
- Useful articles
There are three distinct groups into which termites are divided: subterranean, drywood, and dampwood. Drywood and dampwood are the most dangerous ones causing a lot of damage to the wood and making people spend great sums of money on protection and fight with the consequences.
Is it possible to use the room spray for termites yourself?
Whether it is possible to treat the house for termites yourself, depends on the source of contamination.
If you have never experienced it before, it is easier to simply call a professional service to get rid of termites, who will do everything for you.
It is very important that such services will help you to get rid of any types of termites, because it sometimes requires the use of different methods. They will give you 100% result.
But it is very important that before you call to any company, you should check it out in the Structural Pest Control Board.
So, if you’ve never had the experience of termites, it is better to turn to professionals. Perhaps you spend a large sum of money, but will save your furniture and other items. In another case ,you can get rid of termites yourself. It may take time and much of your efforts.
if you do decide to get rid of termites in the house, use boric acid. This is one of the most popular and effective methods of struggle.
Here you can learn more information about effective termite control remedies: Bora-Care, Boric acid, Borate, Fipronil, Chlorpyrifos, Chlordane, Borax, Timbor, Termidor, Terminator, Phantom, Lorsban, Biflex, Terro. You can choose different forms, such as – foam, liquid, powder.
How to spray for termites yourself?
How to handle a spray for termites in the house?
So, nowadays, there are many ways that will help to get rid of termites in furniture. Though they are not always effective, but before you call the professionals, try to get rid of them yourself. There non-chemical methods (freezing and heating furniture, microwaving) and chemical ones.
Chemical methods of termite control include various sprays, pills, powders, and other substances.
Make sure that the house was not strangers. In order not to hurt yourself and your furniture, read the instructions for use spray or consult with a seller in the store.
Spraying termites outside
First, you need to discover where is the nest of termites, and only then it is necessary to apply serious methods. To do this, you can make a bait.
Arrange a cardboard trap. You will also need boric acid. Take a couple of cardboard sheets, moisten them with water and fold one upon the other in the area of a possible habitat of termites.
Since the food of termites is cellulose (cardboard), it will be a perfect bait for them.
In fact, it is a basis component of many insecticides sold in stores. Boric acid kills the nervous system of the termites, dehydrating them. Apply boric acid or its solution onto the wooden elements (or another cellulose containing material).
Place a bait with boric acid in the garden near the house or near the hearth, the destruction by termites. After a few hours check and again add some boric acid.
What time is best for treating the termites with spray?
When to spray for termites? There is not much difference what is the best time to spray for termites. The main thing that it was convenient for you. As for the weather, it is better to do it in a dry, windless weather. Then he will be absorbed into the wood and so more likely that termites won’t penetrate it
How to do it?
Spraying termites yourself outside is the same as indoors. It is better to stay away from trees and bushes so that the chemicals don’t hit on them.
How often to spray for termites?
It is difficult to say how often you should spray to get rid of termites. It depends on the degree of infestation by termites and the effectiveness of the substance you are using.
Someone may get lucky and they will never infested with termites, and someone not lucky. Therefore it is better to deal with prevention. Make it if it’s possible one time in half a year.
While fighting against termites it’s important to follow some rules.
- Working with chemicals it’s strongly recommended to use protective clothing (it’s better use impermeable fabric, so they won’t get on skin), respirator, gloves, glasses.
- Such methods as fumigation, microwave and electrocution injection require additional equipment, that’s why only specialists can treat it correctly.
- To be more sure about your actions you read some additional information on the internet or watch some video lessons.
If you are still not confident in your abilities, it is worth calling to a specialized company, which will do everything for you.
As mentioned above, it is better to handle boric acid or permethrin. You can also spray and polish your furniture with termite poisons (“Imidacloprid”, “Chlorfenapyr”, “chlorpyrifos”, “Fipronil, etc)at once. Warning: it is better to do outdoors.
If you interested in more information of termites we recommend you to read the following articles:
- All types of termites. Are they harmful to humans? Can they bite you? And what is the difference between drywood and subterranean ones?
- What does swarmers of different species look like: drywood, subterranean, formosan?
- Signs of infestation outside and in the house: in walls or furniture.
- How to treat them at home and in the yard: in wood or in fence. How long this process lasts and what is pre-construction and soil treatment?
- What does termite holes look like? What is droppings and is it toxic to humans? Do termites make noises?
- Posible termite damage, how does it look like? Examples of damage in walls and wood floors.
- All about flying termites: how do they look like, swarming season and what to do if there are swarmers in your house?
- How do they do nests and mounds? How to find it in your garden or inside the house?
- Termite life cycle – from egg to larvae. And social hierarchy: workers, soldiers, queen.
- Did you know that termites can infest living trees, for example a palm or a pine tree. They also like to live in stumps.
- You can prevent the infestation by using barriers, such as: HomeGuard, Physical systems, Safeguard, Stainless steel mesh, Kordon.
- If you want to get rid of termites naturally, learn more about such methods as: heat or cold treatment, orange oil, using nematodes.
Drywood termites may seem innocuous at first glance, but actuallythey pose a threat to buildings and furniture. They can live in any wooden piece of furniture: chair, cupboard, table, etc.
That’s why you should remember that if the termites appeared in any subject in your house, it means that they can spread to other areas.
To avoid unplanned expenses of termites, it is better to do the polishing of all the furniture at once and to prevent their occurrence. But if they already appeared in your house, start to get rid of them as soon as possible to stop further damage.
If the termites are already “hosted” in the house, then you should immediately take measures to eliminate them. Remember, termites are not like other insects, they are very difficult to get rid of alone if the infestation is big already.
That’s why it is better to use the services of professionals if you are not sure in your strength, because they have the experience in this sphere and the appropriate tools against termites.
See the inaccuracy, incomplete or incorrect information? Do you know how to make an article better?
Want to suggest a photo for a photo?
Please help us make the site better! Leave a message and your contacts in the comments - we will contact you and make the publication better together!